New Student Checklists
You’ve registered for New Student Orientation, so here are a few to-do items to complete before attending!
- Dining and Meal Plans
- Health Services
- Tuition and Financial Aid
- Academic Advising
- New Student Calendar
- Access MyCharleston. MyCharleston is where you will find valuable information and resources throughout your time at CofC. In MyCharleston you can view financial aid awards, transcript evaluations, pay deposits, apply for housing, and more! For more information on MyCharleston click here
- Complete your Foreign Language Placement Exam. Foreign Language is a general education requirement at the College, and all first-year students must take the placement exam if German, Latin or French was taken in High School. Students who took Spanish will be placed into a level based on the amount of years that was taken in High School. If you studied one of these languages in High School but wish to learn a new language at CofC, it is suggested to still complete the placement exam. For more information click here.
- Complete your Math Placement Exam. All entering students are required to take the ALEKS mathematics placement test regardless of credit based on AP, IB, or courses from another institution. The placement test must be completed at least two weeks before attending new student orientation. Failure to complete the placement test before orientation will delay your enrollment in a math course. Additional information can be found here.
- Complete required Health Forms. Health forms contain valuable information including medical history, allergies and immunizations that allows Health Services to provide students with the best possible care. Information must be completed before classes begin. For more information refer here.
- Review Orientation Housing and Parking Information. On-campus housing for students during summer orientation is offered for sessions one through eight. The reservation should be made two weeks in advance and the form for the upcoming summer will be available in April. More details on housing during Orientation on campus and off campus can be found at http://orientation.cofc.edu/travel/.
- Pack the appropriate materials.
- Driver’s license or other form of ID
- CWID (Student ID Number)
- Comfortable clothing and shoes
- Umbrella (just in case)
- Water bottle
- Toiletries and personal hygiene items
- Towels, sheets, pillow, and blanket (on-campus stay)
Rates for on-campus housing are per person, per semester.
The housing deposit can be paid through MyCharleston.
- Log into MyCharleston and go to the Academic Services tab.
- Log into your student eBill and pay the housing deposit and application fee, both found under the Deposit tab.
- Please be aware, housing deposits are non-refundable
- Click the MyHousing/Dining link on MyCharleston to begin your application.
- Applications for the Fall semester will run throughout February. Please be aware, there is a 24 hour delay between starting an application and being able to select a room.
Dining and Meal Plans
If you are a freshman living on campus it is mandatory to choose a meal plan offered through Dining Services. When you choose housing, you will also choose a meal plan. Don’t worry, you will have the opportunity to change this after talking to Dining Services staff and CofC students if you wish to do so. It is important to view the different options that are offered through Dining Services. List of the Freshman Resident Meal Plans.
Complete the above information and bring with you to orientation OR mail information to:Student Health Services 181 Calhoun Street Charleston, South Carolina 29424 Fax: 843.953.6377 Note: The Health form is not due until August 1st but it is better to bring it with you to orientation so it is complete.
Tuition and Financial Aid
You will need to access your eBill via MyCharleston. It’s important to check this out because tuition is going to be individualized for each student. (MyCharleston login) We recommend created an Authorized User. Step by Step Guide to set up an Authorized User. For further information regarding your eBill, contact the Treasurer’s Office. Phone: 843.953.5572 Email: email@example.com For more information on financial aid, plese visit their website.
How to access your eBill:
- Login to MyCharleston
- Click ‘My Accounts’
- See bottom left & click on ‘Log onto Student eBill Account’
At orientation, you will be choosing your classes for the Fall semester. This process can be exciting, yet overwhelming for new students so be sure to access the ‘Preparing for your Orientation Advising Session’ guide.